Menu

GOOD AND CHEAP RECIPES - HANDHELD POTATO AND KALE ROLLS WITH RAITA

POTATO AND KALE ROLLS WITH RAITA

GOOD AND CHEAP RECIPES - HANDHELD POTATO AND KALE ROLLS WITH RAITA

These are a great meal to make when you have leftover roti and raita. The filling comes together in minutes and could be anything, but potatoes and greens are tasty and filling.

INGREDIENTS

  • 8 roti 
  • 2 large or 4 medium potatoes, chopped
  • 1 bunch kale or spinach, chopped with stems removed
  • 1 tbsp ghee or butter
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • ½ cup onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp ginger, finely grated
  • 1 tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cayenne powder
  • raita 
  • fresh cilantro

RECIPE

  1. Put a skillet on medium heat and add the ghee or butter. (Ghee, which is traditional in Indian cooking, is just butter with the milk solids removed, and it can withstand higher temperatures than butter without burning.)
  2. Once the butter is hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for 5 seconds before adding the diced onion. 
  3. Let the onion cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. In a small bowl, mix the garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, cayenne powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon of water.
  5. Add the spices to the onion mixture and mix, cooking for another 2 minutes. It will smell strongly aromatic. This step is important because the spices become toasted and release their flavor.
  6. Next, add the potatoes. Stir to coat them with the onions and spices. Add about a cup of water and cover the pan with a lid. 
  7. Let it cook for about 10 minutes, checking occasionally to stir and make sure nothing is burning. Add more water as needed. You want the final mixture to be only a bit moist, but the water helps everything cook evenly.
  8. Test the potatoes with a fork: if you can easily pierce them, they’re ready. Once they are, add the kale and stir until the kale is wilted. 
  9. Taste and add more salt if needed.
  10. To assemble the rolls, scoop 1/8 of the mixture into the center of a roti, distributing it in an even line. Roll it up. 
  11. Serve two roti per person with cilantro and a generous dollop of raita, either over the top or on the side.
FROM GOOD AND CHEAP RECIPES BOOK

PLEASE don't forget to like my page on facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

authorHello, my name is Janna. I'm a 5 years old. My Mom have done this blog for me.
Learn More →



About

Hi and welcome! My name is Janna, and this little blog is my internet home. I like cooking and I created this blog to gather recipes that My Daddy and My Mommy would like.

In the cooking department, I’m a food enthusiast with an appetite for almost anything. I love to cook vegetarian dishes, but we’re not strictly anything when it comes to what we eat. I love desserts, especially straight up salted dark chocolate. I try to cook things that are practical, interesting, and delicious. I adore noodles, curry, lentils, and pasta. Is that the same as noodles? Doesn’t matter. I love it all.

Sage
Some of my favorite things in life are Arabian, Chinese food, My Mom, My Dad and Zeina.

Thanks for visiting! , click here →
Ping Your Website

Labels