Menu

GOOD AND CHEAP DINNER RECIPES - CAULIFLOWER CHEESE

CAULIFLOWER CHEESE FOR FOUR 
FOR FOUR

GOOD AND CHEAP DINNER RECIPES - CAULIFLOWER CHEESE


This is a classic side dish in Great Britain: creamy, cheesy sauce over cauliflower, baked in the oven until the edges get crunchy and bubbly. It's like a healthier and more flavorful version of macaroni and cheese. Alternatively, try this with broccoli or cooked winter squash—everyone will love it.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • ½ tsp chili flakes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1½ cups milk
  • 6 oz sharp cheddar, grated
  • salt and pepper

ADDITIONS
  • breadcrumbs (p. 146)
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 4 scallions, finely chopped
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • ½ tsp thyme

RECIPE
  1. Set the oven to 400 °F. Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat.  Add the salt and the cauliflower, then leave it for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, butter a baking dish large enough tocomfortably accommodate all the cauliflower. I usually use a pie dish. Drain the water from the cauliflower and pour it into the baking dish.
  2. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the garlic, chili flakes, and bay leaf, then cook for about 1 minute. Add the flour and stir quickly. The flour-butter mixture is called a roux. You want the roux to get just a little brown; this will probably take another minute. Slowly add the milk to the pot, stirring all the while to incorporate the roux. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring every now and then to make sure the sauce doesn't get scorched on the bottom. Once it comes to a boil, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese. Drop in any additions at this point. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper as needed. You should have a creamy, smooth, savory sauce. 
  3. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower. Place the dish in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the top is brown and bubbly. You can also add some breadcrumbs to the top of the dish before baking if you like extra crunch. Enjoy with a green salad. I also like mine with salsa.
FROM GOOD AND CHEAP RECIPES BOOK

PLEASE don't forget to like my page on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

authorHello, my name is Janna. I'm a 5 years old. My Mom have done this blog for me.
Learn More →



About

Hi and welcome! My name is Janna, and this little blog is my internet home. I like cooking and I created this blog to gather recipes that My Daddy and My Mommy would like.

In the cooking department, I’m a food enthusiast with an appetite for almost anything. I love to cook vegetarian dishes, but we’re not strictly anything when it comes to what we eat. I love desserts, especially straight up salted dark chocolate. I try to cook things that are practical, interesting, and delicious. I adore noodles, curry, lentils, and pasta. Is that the same as noodles? Doesn’t matter. I love it all.

Sage
Some of my favorite things in life are Arabian, Chinese food, My Mom, My Dad and Zeina.

Thanks for visiting! , click here →
Ping Your Website

Labels