Menu

GOOD AND CHEAP DINNER RECIPES - SPICY, CRUNCHY, CREAMY POLENTA

SPICY, CRUNCHY, CREAMY POLENTA

FOR TWO

$ 3.50 total

$1.75 / serving

GOOD AND CHEAP DINNER RECIPES - SPICY, CRUNCHY, CREAMY POLENTA

Polenta plus vegetable plus  egg equals satisfying and delicious.  You can also add a can of corn to the polenta for deep, rich, corny flavor. Or go a little different by adding  frozen peas, scallions,  olives, or (my  favorite) green chilies to the polenta. Or skip the Romano and add ¼ cup of grated cheddar to the polenta.

INGREDIENTS

  • ½ cup polenta or cornmeal
  • 2 cups water
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 cups fresh spinach or 1 cup frozen spinach, roughly chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 anchovy, finely chopped (optional)
  • ½ tsp chili flakes (or fresh chili)
  • 2 eggs
  • Romano or Parmesan, freshly grated salt and pepper

RECIPE

  1. Bring the water and salt to a boil in a medium-sized pot, then turn the heat down to low and slowly pourthe polenta while  stirring briskly with a wooden spoon.
  2. Stirring while  pouring is crucial to keep the polenta creamy and smooth—no lumps! Once the cornmeal becomes  smooth and thick, place a lid on the pot with the spoon  still in it so that steam can escape.
  3. Let the polenta cook while  you  prepare the rest of the meal,  checking  in occasionally to give it a stir. The total cooking  time should be about 25 to 30 minutes, but if you’re in a rush, you  can eat it after 15.
  4. Meanwhile, chop the spinach, garlic, and anchovy if you’re using it. Set them aside. Add a bit of olive oil or butter to a pan  on medium heat. Let the pan  heat up until it sizzles when you  flick it with water. Add the garlic, anchovy, and chili flakes. Let them cook until you can smell them, about 1 minute. Add the spinach and toss it around with a spoon  or tongs, or just swirl the pan  to coat the spinach with the garlic mixture. Let everything cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the spinach is wilted. Remove the pan  from the heat and move  its contents to a bowl  to wait for the polenta and eggs.
  5. When  the polenta is about 2 minutes from done, start with the eggs. Wipe the pan  quickly with a cloth, then put it back on medium heat. Splash  a bit more olive oil in the pan  and wait for it to get hot. Crack the two eggs into the pan  and cover with a lid. This will steam them, making sunny-side-up eggs with fully  cooked whites.
  6. Scoop the polenta into a pair of bowls. Add some Romano and lots of salt and pepper. Layer about half the vegetables over the polenta.
  7. Once the whites of the eggs are cooked, remove them from the pan  with a spatula and lay them over
  8. the polenta and vegetables. Top with the rest of the vegetables and further sprinklings of cheese.
FROM GOOD AND CHEAP RECIPES BOOK

PLEASE don't forget to like my page on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

authorHello, my name is Janna. I'm a 5 years old. My Mom have done this blog for me.
Learn More →



About

Hi and welcome! My name is Janna, and this little blog is my internet home. I like cooking and I created this blog to gather recipes that My Daddy and My Mommy would like.

In the cooking department, I’m a food enthusiast with an appetite for almost anything. I love to cook vegetarian dishes, but we’re not strictly anything when it comes to what we eat. I love desserts, especially straight up salted dark chocolate. I try to cook things that are practical, interesting, and delicious. I adore noodles, curry, lentils, and pasta. Is that the same as noodles? Doesn’t matter. I love it all.

Sage
Some of my favorite things in life are Arabian, Chinese food, My Mom, My Dad and Zeina.

Thanks for visiting! , click here →
Ping Your Website

Labels